The History of our Beautiful Show Room
We are housed in a fine old, heritage listed, federation building, built in 1882, by Emanuel Shepherd a local South Australian land broker. Emanuel was born in Yorkshire England in 1841 and travelled with his parents on the barque ‘Francis Spraight” in 1843.
He married Susan Bennetts in 1872 and built their six room family home in 1882 at 205 Magill Road Maylands.
The premises were extended when his wife decided to set up a drapery and fancy goods store in the front room on the corner of Magill Road and Augusta Street, the venture proving most successful.
Through the 1890s Mrs Shepherd supplied many hats, gloves and other pieces of finery to the ladies of the district.
The drapery business thrived under different management for a time until Mr Robert Radbrook, a fruiter and grocers opened for business in 1902.
Mr Shepherd continued to live in the building for many years and leased the shop to others.
Over the years the building has housed many small businesses, including bakeries, local pottery gallery, hardware store, boarding house, florist and various antique stores.
At one time the building was owned by Allan Myron who sold ancient artefacts and antiques from Asia and the Middle East.
The building was more recently owned by a prominent Adelaide historian and lecturer, Colin Bond, who was a great believer in preserving historic Adelaide, and its buildings.
It is believed the old house was home to ghosts and some say they have felt a ‘presence’ on a few occasions. Even some of our customers claim to have glimpsed unexplained movements and heard creaking floor boards when no one was there.
Under Cheryl & Tony’s custodianship the building was extended and improved in 2008 restoring the original iron work and fireplaces.
We expect our forbearers would be pleased to see 205 Magill Road as it is today.
We are thankful to the public who over the years have provided information about our beautiful building and the previous occupants.
If you should have any stories or photographs of our wonderful old building we would love you to share them with us.